A Mind Map is a useful tool for creating a Decision Matrix
Need to compare multiple solutions to a single problem? Use a decision matrix. A decision matrix is a technique that takes into account the factors that are important when making a decision with multiple options.
This technique removes bias and emotion from the process so you can evaluate your options objectively. It also helps you to defend your decision with clear arguments.
A decision matrix works for the following questions:
- Questions with multiple possible answers
- Questions with multiple factors influencing the decision
- What are the first actions to develop?
- Which of the 5 applicants should we choose?
- Which agency should we hire for our rebranding?
Make decision making easy for your team. Use an mind map and follow these steps:
- Phrase your question clearly.
- Include the variables and options as sub-elements.
- Score the options together with scores from 1 to 5 for each variable.
- Weight the criteria according to their relevance to the decision (5 is “important” and 1 is “unimportant”).
- Determine the winner using the totals. Multiply the weights of all categories by all scores and add up all points.
The team decision making process doesn’t have to be time-consuming or exhausting. The trick is to choose the right approach for your situation and team culture.